This is a smoothie I’ve been enjoying a lot lately. The combination of sweet pineapple with spicy ginger and cayenne pepper is really delicious, but it’s also a perfect way to start off the new year.
The ingredients in this smoothie help flush away toxins and restore the natural balance of your body, which can be helpful after the holidays. If you had one too many sugar cookies at Christmas, one too many stressful dinners with the in-laws, and one too many drinks last night on New Year’s Eve, this is the smoothie to help get your body back on track in the new year. Here’s why:
- Lemon – Alkalizing, lowers your body’s pH after consuming too much acidic food/drinks. Detoxifying, releases enzymes that convert toxins into a water-soluble form that helps your body remove them.
- Pineapple – High in an enzyme known as bromelain, which aids digestion and reduces inflammation.
- Ginger – Ginger spikes your metabolism, flushes out waste, aids liver function, and improves digestion.
- Cayenne – Used alongside lemon and maple syrup in those crazy “master cleanse” systems, the capsaicin stimulates the circulatory system, opens capillaries, aids digestion, and helps regulate blood sugar.
- In addition, I’ve also added optional flaxseeds for extra fiber and omega-3’s, as well as maca powder which is one of the few “superfoods” that I’ve actually found to work – it replenishes the adrenals after physical or emotional stress – both of which are highly likely after partying and spending time with extended family 😉
Makes 1 giant smoothie
- 1+ cup water
- 1 banana (ideally frozen)
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon maca powder (optional)
I always hate posting smoothie recipes because their steps are typically as simple as “throw everything in the blender and turn it on.” Nevertheless, I’ll do my best to make the process for this recipe sound much more in-depth than it really is:
Reserve 2 tablespoons of pineapple, diced, for a garnish. Ideally, start with frozen banana and frozen pineapple chunks. You can use fresh banana or pineapple, but the texture won’t be quite as creamy as if frozen.
“Throw everything in the blender and turn it on.” 🙂 Start with 1 cup of water and add a little more if the smoothie is too thick.
Pour the smoothie into a glass and top with the diced pineapple and a few pinches of cayenne pepper.
Happy New Year!
14 CommentsLeave a Reply
Happy 2015 Andrew!
Thank you for this detox smoothie recipe (despite your aversion to posting them). All the over-indulgence I’ve being doing these last few weeks has left me feeling like a bloated blob of cookie dough. It is definitely time to get back to smoothies and all those other tasty wholesome foods.
Here’s to a whole new year! Slainte. *raising my mug of smoothie to you*
Thanks, Sabine!! Happy New Year to you too! *cheers* 🙂
This looks amazing! I could use a detox smoothie right now and can’t wait to try this. I love seeing new posts from you in my inbox because every recipe always looks great. Thanks and happy 2015!
Aw, thank you so much Jackie! I’ll keep working on making those emails even more awesome in 2015 😉 Happy New Year!
I just stumbled upon your website and love everything about this ‘diet’! I just made this smoothie and not only does it taste great but I feel better knowing I’m putting healthy food into my body! Thank you and I can’t wait to try other recipes!
Yay! Thank you, Marissa! I’m so happy to hear that you liked this smoothie and the One Ingredient philosophy 😀
What is maca powder? Wbere canI get it? What does it do to your smoothie?I’m definitely trying thisespecially bcos of cayenne pepper. Looking forward to more recipes like this.
Hi Aramide, Maca powder is a root vegetable from South America, as I explained, it replenishes your adrenal glands and helps you recover from stress. You can either find it online or in any healthier grocery store like Whole Foods.
I am not sure how I started getting these emails, but I am delighted they found their way to me! I’m a relatively new vegan and don’t have a lot of time or patience for cooking for just me. Love what I’ve seen so far. <3
Oh, thank you Rhonda! I’m happy to hear that my recipes have been helpful — I’ll keep them coming 😉
Hi ive just found your site and am wondering will this smoothie belp me feel less bloated and to slim down as i need to for a wedding in two weeks
Many thanks amanda o
LOVE the picture with the champagne bottle! It looks like a great smoothie!
Trying this smoothie for the first time. How long should I drink this for a detox? (Days)
How often and how many smoothies do you have in a day on this diet? I have jist made 1 and cant wait to hopefully lose some pounds